Becoming a Mom is one of the most Heavenly feeling, but then during pregnancy Moms are totally unaware about the multiple duties that are about to kick in as soon as the Baby is born.. That tiny little human is totally dependent on its Mom for literally everything.. Becoming a Mother keeps us so busy that we often ignore to take self care and ends up feeling all depressed.
For initial few days all you have to do it feed, clean, put to sleep and repeat.. You feel like you have nothing left in your life.. No time for yourself, not able to spend time with Husband, unable to do the stuff you like or even get out of the House.. While some Moms are able to cope up with this soon, Some Moms end up feeling all depressed and sad.. They may be going through either of these 2 stages- Baby blues or Depression..
WHAT IS POST PARTUM DEPRESSION?
People often confuse Baby blues with depression, Baby blues just stays for a week or 2, depression might stay for a long duration.. It starts after a week or may be a month or so from the delivery and may last up till a year.. It can be experienced by even fathers, not just Mothers..It is a short term mental illness which can be easily cured.. Statistics shows that 1 in every 7 women experience this and it is nothing to be ashamed of.. it is just like any other minor illness that anybody can experience and can be easily taken care of..
SYMPTOMS OF POSTPARTUM DEPRESSION
- Keeps the person sad and may make them feel that they are a bad parent or they did a mistake by having the baby.
- Can burst out into tears for small things.
- May be unaware of the bipolar or aggressive behaviour they are showing.
- Major mood swings and may start losing the weight because of lose in their appetite.
- Shows very little affection towards the baby and may not happy about it.
- May lose the desire of having sex or can get sleep deprived.
- Too much fatigue and fall in energy level.
- Major changes in life, happening at a rapid speed soon after the baby is born.
- Not able to handle the load of so many responsibilities.
- Not being able to feed or take care of the Baby properly.
- Sudden busy schedule creating distances between you and your spouse.
- Hormonal changes post delivery.
- Being all House ridden in the initial days post delivery.
- Not able to get time for yourself or lack of sleep.
Though there are many reasons that can trigger Postpartum Depression, Sometimes there is absolutely no reason behind this and still the person can experience it.
HOW CAN YOU OVERCOME IT:
- First and the most important is by talking it out, may be to your spouse, mother, best friend or anybody that you think will understand you..It will make you feel much better.
- Talk to your Doctor or some Counsellor about it, there is no need to hide or feel ashamed about this.. It is just a phase..
- Go out or take some time out for yourself, Husband or some family member can watch the baby for a while.
- Take Hot showers and Eat right to feel good about yourself with all that hygiene and good food.
- If you had a Normal delivery start with some good physical routine or if you had a c-sec ,you can start with mild walks or some easy physical exercises under guidance.
- Try to take some sleep, follow the policy of sleep when the Baby sleeps, so you can gather some much needed energy.
- Read some good books or listen to the kind of music you like, to lighten up your mood.
I know it is not as easy as it sounds..But you are not alone in this..Postpartum Depression is just a phase and running from it is no solution.. A little self care, some family support and right guidance is all that is needed to cope up with this depression.. Most importantly, according to my experience if you have an understand, loving and supporting partner you can overcome all that in a blink of an eye and still If nothing works look at that tiny human you created, whose going to smile back at you everytime they look at you.. Will make you feel how lucky and loved you are to be blessed with a baby..who will constantly remind you that How amazing you are as a Mom..
So stop feeling guilty about it and take action as soon as you realise that something is not right !!!